St Dominic Credit Union takes an active interest in the development of children in their school years. We ask children to get involved in such activities during the year as the Art Competition and the Credit Unions Schools Quiz.
SDCU with the co-operation of the Principal and teachers of the local schools operate a school saving scheme for all the children. The main aim of the saving scheme is to encourage the children to adopt a regular savings habit and thereby to sow the seeds of good financial management for the future.
The scheme operates as follows:
- Children joining are issued with a Credit Union book in t
heir own name, which should be used when making a lodgement.
- A Credit Union representative will call to the school every 2-4 weeks to collect the savings from the children. Any amount from €1 upwards can be saved.
- Dividends will be paid on savings at the same rate as applies to all members of SDCU
- Withdrawals from accounts cannot be made in the school. Withdrawals can be made in the offices of the Credit Union; a parent or guardians ID will be required and must co-sign the withdrawal.
- If any of the children are already members of SDCU they can use the same account number and save through the school, please inform us first before
- trying to save with the school
- All children who save through this scheme receive a free €10 lodged into their account and a piggy bank.
The schools we are currently operating in are Strangsmill NS, St. Senans NS, St. Beacons NS, Ringville NS, Carrigeen NS, Scoil Mhuire Mooncoin, Our Lady of Good Counsel Ferrybank.
Our aim of the School Credit Union is to encourage children to save, which we hope will become a good habit for them during their lives. We value all our members and hope our young members will grow with us and will become our future borrowers: be it for higher education, a car or one day home improvements!